Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Inspiration: Cabled Crew Neck Hoodie



A grey cabled sweater is good enough for me, but this one has a hood!!!!! I have an unjustifiable love of hoodies. A little bit of yellow peaking out as an accent to the grey is always fine with me. 

Crew neck, cables, about 2in. positive ease, hood added after the collar. 2-3 inches of 1x1 ribbing edge the bottom hem (and, I'm assuming, the cuffs). The top edge is about an inch of 1x1 ribbing that is picked up (or sewn on) after the body is completed. The hood is picked up from (or attached at) the neckline just underneath the attached inside edge of the collar. I think you could have some issues with where to pick up stitches if you did the hood first. 

The large center cable looks like a horseshoe cable that turns outward and is slightly staggered. Instead of turning the adjacent cables on the same row, the right side cable is turned a row or two later. 

At first, I was thinking that the outside cables were a smaller version of the center cable, but it seems more like a single cable paired with a rib of similar width, but it's really difficult to see in this picture. My anal sensibilities make me EXTRA annoyed that the two outer cables seem to be turning the same direction. I would much prefer them to be mirrored.  

You could use a 2-ply for the muted cable effect on this sweater or a 3-ply for more defined cables. 

The sleeves have an extra detail of three centered columns of purls or maybe reverse knits (1-stitch cables). The hood has a folded hem.  

No comments: